Croatian words and phrases for vegetarians and vegans
Recently we brought you The vegetarian’s guide to Eating in Croatia, a bit of a survival guide, as Croats do love their meat. We now bring you some useful Croatian phrases to help you order meals in restaurants. Pronunciation is pretty easy – you say the words just as they’re spelled, bearing in mind the Croatian ‘j’ is pronounced like the English ‘y.’
I am a vegetarian. (male) - Ja sam vegetarijanac.
I am a vegetarian. (female) - Ja sam vegetarijanka.
I am a strict vegan. (male) - Ja sam strogi vegan.
I am a strict vegan. (female) - Ja sam stroga veganka.
I don’t drink milk. - Ne pijem mlijeko.
Do you have anything vegetarian? - Imate li nesto vegetarijansko?
Is there any meat in this soup? - Ima li u ovoj juhi mesa?
I dont’ eat _____. - Ne jedem______.
meat - meso
chicken - piletinu
fish - ribu
butter - maslac
cheese - sir
eggs - jaja
honey - med
milk - mlijeko
bacon - slaninu
*Care for some grammar insight? These foods in the list are in the accusative case – ready to insert into the above sentence. This means that if mentioned out of context (in the nominative) they might have a different letter at the end.
Are there any other words or phrases you’d find handy? Tell us!
Find your best dining options wherever you are in Croatia, including information on where to find vegetarian food, with Like Croatia’s Good Restaurants app, available on iTunes now!
More from: News & Tips
- Protected: A Tractor Story, a fisherman’s night, and an idyllic spring vacation in Porec
- Big Picture: Colorful Rovinj
- Cheers — Istrian wine cellars open their doors for all this Sunday
- Friday Fiction: A blind date in Brela
- Big Picture: The Adriatic underwater
- Croatian wines win big at London International Wine Fair
- Three Croatian islands without a single car
- Big Picture: Spring evening in Zagorje
- A summer of jazz swings into Croatia
- Chic boutique – the allure of smaller hotels and Zadar’s enchanting Adriana