Vinkovacke Jeseni invites you to dance
From September 7th through the 16th all of Vinkovci are on their feet at the annual Vinkovacke Jeseni Festival (“Vinkovci Autumns Festival”), in its 47th year. The festival aims to share and preserve authentic culture and folklore customs and this year as many as 50,000 visitors from both Croatia and neighboring countries are expected. It is the largest festival of its kind in Europe.
Vinkovacki Jeseni includes some 50 various events – economic, cultural, sports and music manifestations among them. The main events are the Opening Ceremony, National Folklore Festival, Children’s Folklore Festival, Storytelling Evenings, Vinkovacki Jeseni Business and Trade Fair and the Ceremonial Parade.
The parade, held on the festival’s final night, will have as many as 10,000 participants this year, and has always been its most popular event.
This year though it has competition, as festivities take on a new spin with the introduction of the world’s largest kolo ever, following the procession through town. One of many European chain dances surviving from ancient times, the kolo is expected to grow as long as 3 meters in length in a city-wide folk dance spectacular.
You can watch dancers at Cibalia HNK Soccer Stadium or, better yet, immerse yourself in the festivities by joining in on one of the numerous kolos which will be organized and led for visitors in squares and parks throughout the city, ensuring everyone in town a chance to show off some fancy footwork.
To find the best places to dine on your vacation, use Like Croatia’s Good Restaurants iPhone app. It’s available on iTunes now!
More from: Culture & Arts
- Zagreb’s Museum of Contemporary Art
- Charged reality – an interview with painter Zlatan Vehabovic
- Unveiling Central Istria – a selection of places to see
- A museum with no building, artists with no rules – see what it’s about in Siget
- Vinkovacke Jeseni invites you to dance
- The strange world of Croatian labyrinths – part 2/2
- The strange world of Croatian labyrinths part 1/2
- Morcic – the Orient in Rijeka
- Spancirfest – Varazdin’s Festival of Good Emotions
- Vukovar Film Festival: Open Up Europe!